Thursday, August 3, 2017

Self-Care and Reading

rug / pants (sold out- similar here) / sandals

I have been sleeping so poorly the past month or so. I blame it on myself- the boys are older and have been going to bed a little later, it's been summertime which also equates to later bedtimes, and by the time I have a few quiet hours to myself all I want to do is veg out on my computer or watch some television- both very non-conducive to enjoying quality sleep afterward. I go through waves with my reading. Sometimes I'm a voracious reader, trying to finish up chapters late at night, and other times, like now, I find myself filling any free time with more screen time, which never leaves me feeling good. Then I sleep poorly. Wake up feeling groggy. Can't get to the gym early so I have to go late...and the cycle continues.

I have noticed over time that the amount I read directly correlates with how good I feel. When I'm on top of my game, feeling like I'm crushing all (*most) areas of life, I can take a step back and see that during those periods of time I'm not wasting an hour or two catching up on our DVR or mindlessly scrolling through Instagram. I'm turning in early and spending my free time before bed lost in a good book.

One of the reasons I was really looking forward to this month's blogging challenge is because I know I have time to blog. I can say "oh I'm so busy" until I'm blue in the face but if I'm being perfectly honest there are a million ways I could make better use of my time. Work first, and work hard- then set aside two 30-minute sections among my working time that I would normally waste, and blog then. If it's something you love, there is always a way to make time for it. At least that's what I believe! Then of course when I feel like I'm getting things done and accomplishing what needs to get done, I feel good. And we all know- feeling good begets feeling good.

So I'm blogging. I'm using my time wisely. I'm trying to be more mindful in the mornings. And now I need to fine tune my evening routine to include more reading- I need to get back to it! While traveling on the East Coast I read a few books thanks to early nights on the shore and it was wonderful. But now I'm home and it's time to pick some good ones to get into.

Here are a few on my list --

1. Everything We Keep

A top Amazon bestseller of 2016 and Wall Street Journal bestseller. A luminous debut with unexpected twists, Everything We Keep explores the devastation of loss, the euphoria of finding love again, and the pulse-racing repercussions of discovering the truth about the ones we hold dear and the lengths they will go to protect us.

2. How To Be Married

At age thirty-four, Jo Piazza got her romantic-comedy ending when she met the man of her dreams on a boat in the Gal├ípagos Islands and was engaged three months later. But before long, Jo found herself riddled with questions. How do you make a marriage work in a world where you no longer need to be married? How does an independent, strong-willed feminist become someone’s partner—all the time? In the tradition of writers such as Nora Ephron and Elizabeth Gilbert, award-winning journalist and nationally bestselling author Jo Piazza writes a provocative memoir of a real first year of marriage that will forever change the way we look at matrimony.

3. The Light We Lost

Lucy is faced with a life-altering choice. But before she can make her decision, she must start her story—their story—at the very beginning. Lucy and Gabe meet as seniors at Columbia University on a day that changes both of their lives forever. Together, they decide they want their lives to mean something, to matter. When they meet again a year later, it seems fated—perhaps they’ll find life’s meaning in each other. But then Gabe becomes a photojournalist assigned to the Middle East and Lucy pursues a career in New York. What follows is a thirteen-year journey of dreams, desires, jealousies, betrayals, and, ultimately, of love. Was it fate that brought them together? Is it choice that has kept them away? Their journey takes Lucy and Gabe continents apart, but never out of each other’s hearts. This devastatingly romantic debut novel about the enduring power of first love, with a shocking, unforgettable ending, is Love Story for a new generation.

(all summaries via amazon.com)

How about you? Do you find that you read more when you're feeling good? Is it a part of your self-care routine? And lastly, read any good books lately?

xo

8 comments:

  1. I've been thinking how I need to start reading again too! I just put Everything We Keep on my reading list the other day. I also just got We Are Never Meeting in Real Life (http://amzn.to/2we3tjF) and I'm excited to get started on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kait! :) Thanks for reading and for the book rec! I will check it out.

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. It was a few months ago, but I really enjoyed "After I Do" by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

    I need to dig into the pile of books I have, thanks for reminding me how important it is to take the time to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, SUCH a good one! :) I love that author so much. Thanks for reading, Tara! :)

      Delete
  3. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, The Door byMag na Szabo, The Light of the World by Elizabeth Alexander(a real love story), M Train by Patti Smith just a few books I have read recently. I am never without a book. Reading is a way of connecting silently with so many other cultures, view points, experiences & imaginations. What is the book in your photo that says Anne in the title? Looks like a book I would like . Enjoy your lovely family & squeeze in reading somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all of those titles, Stephanie! Many are new to me. I also loved your description of reading...so good.

      That book is a book of letters from Anne Sexton, one of my favorite poets. Are you familiar? She's amazing.

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I completely agree. I'm not sure where my days go and how I go to bed really not getting anything done. It's taken me about a month to get part way through the book I'm reading now, and I think... how? I definitely need to change up my time. Rather than watching the same shows over and over, I need to do more productive and engaging things. Inspirational post! I like the How to be Married book, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! We can do it together. I just always feel so much better when I'm being productive, even if it's just reading! Let's do this! ;)

      Thank you for reading. :)
      xoxo

      Delete